Grade Submission to Howdy from Canvas
Use the integration in Howdy to submit grades from Canvas using the steps outlined below. Instructors will first want to review their Canvas course and gradebook setup prior to performing the grade submission in Howdy. As a note, ALL grades must be entered in Canvas (to include 0s where necessary) to ensure accuracy. The integration will assume missing grades are 0s and may lower the grade imported in Howdy, potentially displaying a grade to students in Canvas that differs from what is entered in Howdy.
The acceptable grading schemes will either be a standard Course Letter Grade (A,B,C,D,F) or Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U). The Course Letter Grade scheme should not include the plus (+) or minus (-) in order to be imported into Howdy. The grade submission process will pull grades into Howdy from Canvas. Grades can be submitted for final grades and midterm grades (if applicable).
Reviewing Fall 2021 Grades
If you are concerned with Fall 2021 final grades, we recommend exporting the gradebook in Canvas and comparing the Unposted Final Grade column with the Current Grade column.
- Unposted Final Grade column is referenced when submitting grades to Howdy and will assume all missing grades are zeros and will include grades of any columns that are not posted for students (eyeball with the slash).
- Current Grade column matches the Total column located in Canvas but will only include any entered grades or unposted columns.
If there are any grade discrepancies in these two columns, try the following:
- Enter all grades (including zeros)
- Post all grades to students that should be included in the Total grade.
- Exclude grades or assignments that should not be included in the Total grade.
After you have tried the above steps, export the gradebook again and verify the grades have changed and match.
Howdy Grade Submission
Once the Gradebook in Canvas is set up correctly and reviewed for accuracy, the Instructor of Record
or Grade Submitter
roles can submit grades
to Howdy by pulling Midterm or Final grades from Canvas. If you have multiple sections, you will have to complete these steps for every course section, even if the course is merged in Canvas.
What is a Canvas Grade Scheme?
Resolving Incompletes Outside of LMS
Course instructors needing to resolve an incomplete have the ability to do so outside of Canvas. Below are suggested strategies and resources depending on the scenario necessitating the “Incomplete.”
Resolving Incompletes in Canvas
Course instructors can request an incomplete section in Canvas. Please follow the step-by-step guide below: