Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor
Status - Approved
Approved for use.
Respondus LockDown Browser
is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within the learning management system. Instructors can enable Respondus Monitor
is an add-on feature that requires students to use a webcam for non-proctored exams.
Overview of Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus Lockdown browser is a proctoring solution that instructors can integrate when creating Assessments in Canvas. Respondus Lockdown Browser works by:
- Requiring assessments full screen where the user can’t be minimized
- Removing browser menus, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Preventing access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Disabling printing and screen capture functions
- Preventing copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment
- Disabling right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching
- Requiring submission prior to exiting the browser
Enabling LockDown Browser in an Assessment
In order to correctly set up LockDown Browser for an assessment, LockDown Browser will need to be enabled in the course navigation and added to an assessment that has already been created.
Best Practices for LockDown Browser
- Prior to using Respondus LockDown Browser for the first time, students will need to download the browser to their device. Students can find the download on the Respondus website.
- Many instructors find it useful to create a practice quiz that requires Respondus. This can help students and instructors navigate any issues they may encounter with the software prior to taking a higher stakes assessment.
- No screen recording software can be enabled a device when Respondus is active. This means students or instructors may need to disable extensions on other web browsers. If students are using Chrome, this may include disabling extensions on all profiles.
- If an instructor copies a course, LockDown Browser will need to be reconfigured for each quiz. Instructors may want to remove any ‘LockDown Broswer Required’ or ‘Webcam Required’ prior to reconfiguring quizzes to avoid confusion.
- Do not use emojis in the titles of quizzes that will use LockDown Browser. This will create issues.
- If students will need to access a URL outside of the assessment, ensure it is included in the Advanced Settings of the quiz.
- For instructions on accessing Lockdown Browser on an iPad see: https://support.respondus.com/hc/en-us/articles/4409607211163-Can-an-iPad-be-used-to-take-a-LockDown-Browser-exam-instructions-for-students-
For more info on this tool, please visit the Respondus support page.