Canvas Implementation Message: Daily Processes Occurring in Canvas
August 17, 2020
Dear Course Instructors,
If you are using Canvas to deliver your course instruction this fall, please see below so that you are aware of when you can expect updates to take effect in your course courses:
DAILY PROCESSES OCCURRING IN CANVAS
The following processes are occurring daily. Please note these are manual processes and subject to a 24- to 48-hour turn-around time given an increase in volume. We are actively working on automating this process to be implemented in the near future.
- User Updates: Creates new users or makes updates to current users in Canvas.
- Course Creation: Creates courses from Banner data feed. This process also includes those courses needing to be combined from the Canvas Opt-In Application (see next section for more details).
- Course Section Updates: Creates new sections, and updates section changes and the association to courses. This process includes those sections needing to be combined from the Opt-In App (see next section for more details).
- Course Enrollments: This is the loading of users (students, teachers, alternate teachers, TAs, TA Lead, graders, grade submitters) into the sections.
Currently the focus is on ensuring students are added
to the correct courses. A separate process will follow that cleans up students who may have dropped
a course. This means that course instructors may see additional students on rosters for a short period of time. In the coming days we will communicate a date by which you may expect to have the drop student clean-up process complete.
PLEASE USE THE OPT-IN APP FOR MERGE REQUESTS
We are targeting a 48-hour turn-around time to complete merge requests. Merge requests are performed manually in the order in which they are received.
Please use the Opt-In App
to request courses be merged. This is the official record we use to perform this action. Tickets submitted through email@example.com
that do not use the Opt-In App will cause prolonged delays in action being taken to your course. For a step-by-step guide on how to use the Opt-In App, please download this PDF
We recommend not to add content directly to live courses until the merge/cross-list is complete. We encourage course instructors to use their development shell (Dev) to create content before merging or cross-listing of sections is complete. Content from the development shell can then be uploaded into the live shell by following the steps below.
- Information on how to export content in Canvas can be found here.
- Information on how to import content in Canvas can be found here.
- Course instructors that need a development shell (Dev) should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
MESSAGE SENT TO STUDENTS
Your students will receive a similar message so that they are aware that it may take 24 - 48 hours for their Canvas course to appear on their dashboard.